Sejong City is located in the central inner area of Chungcheongnam-do, and stretches south-north. Consequently, from ancient times, the current city areas were divided by the Charyeong Mountains and the Geumgang River into parts of Jeoneui, Yeongi, and Geumnam.
However, with the recent road construction, those areas were combined into one.
- Currently the city has one town(eup), 9 townships(myeon) and 14 administrative neighborhoods(dong). It borders Cheongju-si, Chungcheongbuk-do to the east, Gongju-si, Chungcheongnam-do to the west, Daejeon Metropolitan City to the south, and Cheonan-si to the north.
July 1, 2012
Sejong City was launched.
- Previous area of Yeongi-gun, Chungcheongnam-do
- Previous areas of Taesan-ri, Yongam-ri, Songhak-ri, Yonghyeon-ri, and songjeong-ri, Euidang-myeon, Gongju-si; Songmu-ri, Pyeonggi-ri, Daegyo-ri, Habong-ri, Dogyae-ri, Bongan-ri, Jecheon-ri, Eunyong-ri, Sanhak-ri, Dangam-ri, and Geumam-ri, Janggi-myeon, Gongju-si; Wonbong-ri, Donam-ri, Seonggang-ri, Gukgok-ri, and Bongam-ri, Banpo-myeon, Gongju-si
- Previous areas of Sansu-ri, Haengsan-ri, Galsan-ri, Bugang-ri, Mungok-ri, Geumho-ri, Deunggok-ri, and Noho-ri, Buyong-myeon, Cheongwon-gun, Chungcheongbuk-do
Jun. 30, 2012
Abolition of Yeongi-gun, Chungcheongnam-do.
Dec. 27, 2010
Proclamation of the Special Act on Establishment of Sejong City, etc. (Law NO. 10419)
Dec. 21, 2006
The name, 'Sejong City' meaning ‘happy city’ was decided upon.
May. 18, 2005
Enactment and proclamation of the Special Act to Found Administration-Centered Complex City.
Feb. 28, 1995
Galsan 1, 2-ri, Dong-myeon was annexed to Buyong-myeon, Cheongwon-gun; Simjung 1, 2-ri, Gangwe-myeon was annexed to Jeondong-myeon on March 1.
Jan. 1, 1995
Sojeong-myeon was newly established, according to the Law on Change of Jurisdiction between Cities or Provinces, NO. 4,802.
Nov. 28, 1994
Eungam 1, 2, 3-ri were annexed to Eungam 1, 2, 3, 4-ri, 11 ris of Godeung 1, 2-ri were annexed.
Dec. 18, 1993
Won-ri, Jochiwon-eup was adjusted to Won 1, 2-ri Chimsan-ri to Chimsan 1, 2-ri Sinan 1, 2-ri to Sinan 1, 2, 3-ri.
Jan. 20, 1992
96 administrative units were fixed by adjusting Yeongdang 1, 2-ri, Jeoni-myeon to Yeongdang-ri.
July 20, 1990
197 administrative units were fixed.
May 1, 1988
Administrative units were adjusted as 191 ris by renaming 19 dongs of Jochiwon-eup as ris. The administrative division of ri is based on the concept of natural villages for administrative efficiency and residents' convenience.
July 1, 1987
Bongam 1, 2-ri, Wachon 1, 2, 3-ri, and Wolha 3-ri, Budong-ri, Seo-myeon, were annexed as the jurisdiction of the Seo-myeon Bongam chuljangso.
July 1, 1987
Built local office for Yeongi-gun eup/myeon and enacted local government act #10.
Jan. 1, 1986
According to Presidential Order NO. 12007 (proclaimed on Dec. 23, 1986), Sinbang-ri, Yeongdang-ri, Yanggok-ri, Daljeon-ri, Geumsa-ri, and Dabang-ri were annexed to Jeoni-myeon.
Oct. 3, 1986
Establishment of Article 10 of the Local Autonomy Law and Yeongi-gun eup-myeon chuljangso.
July 1, 1973
According to the change of administrative districts by Presidential Order NO. 6542, Doam-ri, Seongdeok-ri, Yeonggok-ri, Banpo-myeon, Gongju-gun were annexed to Nam-myeon; Naseong-ri, and Songwon-ri, Janggi-myeon to Nam-myeon. The county was composed of 1 eup, 6 myeon, and 106 dong and ri.
Sindong, Nechang, Beonam, and Dongri, Seo-myeon were annexed to Jochiwon-eup.
According to the revision of the myeon system, Jochiwon-eup was newly established. and Jochiwon-eup came to administer 1 eup, 6 myeons, and 101 dongs and ris.
According to the revision of the myeon system, part of Buk-myeon was annexed to Jochiwon-myeon, and part of the rest to Seo-myeon. And Jochiwon-myeon was chosen as the designated myeon.
County headquarters was moved from Yeongi-ri, old eup site, to Jochiwon. According to cancellation and annexation of gun and myeon in 1909, all the 7 myeons of Jeoni-gun, 28 ris of Gongju-gun, 26 ris of Yangari-myeon, 20 ris of Banpo-myeon, 5 ris of sodong-myeon, Cheonan-gun, part of Sindaljeon and Sindong-ri, Gujeuk-myeon, Hwedeok-gun, and 4 ris, Ilha-myeon, cheongwon-gun, Chungbuk-do were all annexed, and the county had 7 myeons: dong, Seo, Nam, Buk, Geumnam, Jeoni, and jeondong.
1895 (the 32nd year of King Gojong)
Revision of local administration system led to the birth of gun, and the head of gun came to be called gunsu (or mayor).
It recovered the status, and came to be called Yeongi-hyeon.
1680 (the 6th year of King Sukjong)
Owing to the treason of Eupinmanseol, the county was annexed to Muni.
1416 (the 16th year of King Taejong)
Each was returned to old status.
1414 (the 14th year of King Taejong)
Yeongi-hyeon was annexed to jeongi-hyeon.
1406 (the 6th year of King Taejong)
Gammu was appointed also in Yeongi.
1413 (the 13th year of King Taejong)
Gammu was changed to hyeongam.
1385 (the 4th year of King Taejo)
Gammu was appointed in Jeoni
1172 (the 2nd year of King Myeongjong)
Gammu was separately appointed, but, again, mokjugammu took charge of it.
1018 (the 9th year of King Hyeonjong)
Along with Yeongi-hyeon, it was annexed to Cheongju-si.
Three Kingdoms Era ~
It was changed to Jeoni-hyeon.
The Jeoni area was hyeon belonging to Daerok-gun, and was called Geumji; Yeongi-hyeon belonged to Yeonsan-gun.
Three Kingdoms Era
It belonged to Baekje. The Jeoni area belonged to Guji-hyeon, Daemokak-gun; The Yeongi area belonged to Duingji-hyeon, Ilmosan-gun; The Geumnam area was part of woongjin.